Monday, October 8, 2007

God Bless the Reading Week!

Sometimes you just need a break... especially from Hebrew! -Dr. Pratico (Hebrew Prof.)

This week is a reading week for me. There are no classes scheduled throughout the week. It is a chance for students to get caught up and possibly get ahead. Most importantly, reading week provides a much needed break and rejuvenation period.

While I am finding that seminary is not as chaotic as college, the break is still very welcome. I began the break this Saturday with a outlet mall shopping trip to Maine with the women's ministry on campus. Not only did I get to add 2 states (Maine and New Hampshire) to my total count of US States I have been in, I got some great deals on clothes.

Yesterday I went to church with my friend Anna. We went to Grace Chapel in Lexington. I guess it is categorized as a mega-church. I tend not to be a mega-church fan... this church was no exception. This makes me sad to say, but I just don't feel comfortable in a church that works so hard to make me feel comfortable. They entertain me, they stimulate my senses with various artwork, videos, etc. The message was uplifting and encouraging (although I am still trying to figure out how it connected with the biblical passage.) No doubt you are reading this thinking, "Katie, are you crazy? What is so wrong with those things? Are you saying church should be boring and uncomfortable?" No. I think church shouldn't be about people - it's supposed to be about God. Anyway - I don't think I'll go there again.

Currently I am writing a response paper to Karl Barth. We had to read Evangelical Theology which I really enjoyed. As I am learning about liberal theology, Barth makes more sense to me. He makes sense as a reaction to liberal theology. When I tried to read him before, I couldn't understand why he was emphasizing so much on the revelation of God and the Word of God - but now that I get why he's doing that - he's much more accessible to me. I might end up doing some more extensive research on him - that makes me excited.

This upcoming weekend I'm going to Maine to visit my mom's cousins and her aunt. I'm excited and a little nervous. Hopefully I find the place alright and am a good visitor. I would have preferred to meet them once with my parents - but not everything works like I want it to (much to my disappointment!)

Well, this would be a good week to call me. I welcome phone calls and letters of encouragement!

1 comment:

W. Travis McMaken said...

Hello Katie,

I just stumbled across your blog because I have a nifty google thing set up to e-mail me anytime a blogger posts about Karl Barth. A little stalker-esque, I know, but I like to keep abreast of what people are saying about him.

In any case, I'm glad you are enjoying reading him. Evangelical Theology is perhaps my favorite of his books.

Also, I'm curious as to what life is like up there at Gordon-Cromwell. How do they teach theology? What theologians do they have you reading (Barth, apparently, which makes me happy!)? What issues seem to be important to them these days?