Sunday, October 14, 2007

Weekend Trip to Maine

All things must change to something new, to something strange.
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

This weekend I found myself traveling up to Maine to get away from Gordon Conwell for awhile and to meet some of my mother's relatives. While the drive up there was plagued by rain and the inability to drive over 40mph due to constantly being in a town - the rest of the weekend was "fabulous."

Friday I met my mom's cousin, Judy. This was after I got lost in Portland and ended up north of Portland at one point. Thanks to my innate ability to somehow find my way, I made it to where I needed to be. I say "innate ability" but what I really mean is "luck." I visited my mother's aunt, Ruth, who is 90 years old. She is such a sweet lady and very funny. She is my grandpa's sister and they are so much alike. It was good to see, but it definitely made me miss my grandma and grandpa at home. That night we went to Jackie's (Judy's sister) house north of Portland. Beautiful place with trees, wild animals and a lake across the road - a very pleasant lake - in fact so pleasant it is called Pleasant Lake. The next day we went into Portland and I saw a lot of cool things. It looks like a great city to explore and I look forward to returning again.

What struck me about this weekend can be summed up by the Portland native Longfellow. Things much change to something new, something strange. I get struck my the "strange" sensation often. Many times the changes are so minor and it really shouldn't phase me, yet they do. They are strange because this is the first time I am encountering them by myself. Everything seems a little strange because the vantage point itself is strange. Strange isn't necessarily bad. It is through times like these that a person begins to understand who they are. What does it mean for me to be from South Dakota? What does it mean for me to be a female academic? What does it mean for me to be a theologian? All valid questions.

Below I have some pictures of my weekend. I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed taking them!


Pleasant Lake


Fall Foliage


Horse at the Fireman's Museum


Harbor at Portland


Jackie, Judy, and me

1 comment:

The Hitchcocks said...

Hi Katie,

Looks like you hit Maine at exactly the right time -- beautiful. Hope you're enjoying GCTS. How's the Hebrew? :-)

I can't remember if I told you, but we've got a blog up and running now, so you can check it out at: http://www.sallyforth.blogspot.com/

Christina