Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Reading Week

Greetings to all. I am currently in the middle of my first reading week this semester. It came up on me really fast and I didn't have a chance to make any plans for it. So, I'm not sure if I'll actually doing anything interesting this week or just relax and read. I really don't need to be going anywhere and spending money right now. I figure I'll wait until the weather is nicer to do my traveling. Although, the weather is pretty nice for February. A couple of weeks ago we even had a thunderstorm!

Last week was pretty exciting for me. On Thursday I went to Gordon College to see Dallas Willard speak, and then I went again on Friday to hear him in during their chapel service. For those of you who don't know, Dallas Willard is a professor of philosophy at USC. More importantly (for this story at least) he also writes books on Christian spirituality. In college I was fortunate enough to read a book of his called The Divine Conspiracy which changed my life. I made my mother read it. I've made my friends read it. I just absolutely love this book. So, when I heard he was coming to Gordon College, I jumped at the chance to see him.

His main topic of interest is Christian discipleship. He argues that churches today don't make disciples, they make converts. People aren't being taught how to become disciples of Christ and their faith is lacking because of it. The transformation promised in conversion is not being realized. He then provides ways in which we can become disciples of Christ, which is what we are called to be.

I am also currently in a book study through my church. We are reading a Dallas Willard book about discipleship. It is much shorter and much more accessible than the Divine Conspiracy. If you are interested, I would recommend this book: The Great Omission.

Other than that, I have been reading a lot about postmodernism and have been reading some Foucault today. Foucault is not easy to understand - do not recommend it. Not that you are going to go out and read whatever I mention on this blog...

That is all for now. Have a great week!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

you never know, i might go out and pick up anything as long as you mentioned it, katie. =) i've been wanting to read "the divine conspiracy" for a while now...you've just reminded me to put it on the sooner-than-later list...which grows far faster than can i read.