Friday, February 29, 2008

Mood Music

I’d like to think that I am not ruled by my emotions. For the most part, I think this is true. The one notable exception to this is my taste in music. I have noticed as I drive to the church in Beverly where I work and worship, I flip through radio stations until a song resonates with me. Lately, I have noticed a correlation between the music and my mood. I don’t think this is out of the ordinary, but I began to notice the type of music I listened happened to like at the moment, and that, in turn, told me something about how I was feeling. Sometimes I can’t pinpoint my emotions, so this little experiment has been helpful at different times.

Below I have listed some of the emotions and the music that appeals to me while I am feeling those certain emotions or am in certain situations. I would love to know if any of you experience this same phenomenon and what music appeals to you.

Angry/Frustrated: Linkin Park (anything from the first 2 albums)

Homesick: Country Music (usually Alabama or Randy Travis, but also Josh Turner)

Energetic: Top 40 music (anything with a good beat – Gwen Stefani, Timbaland)

Need Motivation: “Carry on Wayward Son” by Kansas

Studious: Movie Soundtracks (Current favorites: Pirates of the Carribean 3, Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Chronicles of Narnia)

Romantic: Standards, Big Band, Michael Buble (This normally happens after watching a romantic comedy or something.)

Missing College: Praise and Worship music (esp. “Never Let Go”)

Excited/Really Happy: Broadway Musicals (Wicked, Hairspray, Jersey Boys, etc)

Missing my Brother: Metallica, Poison, Bon Jovi (anything 80’s metal)

Exercise Motivation: Tower of Power (just can’t help myself)

I like a lot of other music, but this music serves a specific purpose. Just thought it might be something interesting to share!

2 comments:

Kim said...

I love that your excited music is show tunes. I have a playlist of that, too. And one of Disney music for when I feel silly. And I even have a playlist named "wistful" for the days that I am (it's mostly full of songs from the "P.S. I Love You soundtrack and Nickel Creek). I think you're right, music can have a profound affect on how we feel. Of course, most days I just turn iTunes on to random and see what pops up, but I will skip songs I usually like if they don't feel right at the moment they come up.

Anonymous said...

Hey Greenbean
I didn't see any Bluegrass in the list. I know how much you like it. So it suprised me there wasn't any listed