Friday, March 7, 2008

Perpetual Student

I read an article a couple of weeks ago about the type of person that should get a phd. I think the article was written to dissuade people from this particular pursuit, but I found it strangely encouraging.

Some of the attributes a phd candidate should possess:
- The ability to live like a monk for years on end.
- An unnatural love of learning for learning's sake.
- Ability to place your hope in something that is not certain and in the future

I definitely know how to live "like a monk." This last year when I filed for taxes, I didn't make enough money for them to even take taxes out of my check. Yes, I am technically below poverty level.

I love to learn. I get frustrated with professors who are all about application - I like knowing things. Let me figure out the application after I learn the facts or or "tidbits" for those of you who question the existence of "facts."

As a Christian, I have learned to place my hope in something that is ultimately yet to come. That skill comes in handy as a student. As I sink further into debt (luckily from school loans and not something worse like credit cards...) I look to the future when this time of hardship, humbleness, and obedience will pay off.

On a related note, the article also mentioned how many students in graduate school drop out because "normal" lives become very appealing. I completely understand this. Just today I was walking around Shaws buying some food for the weekend and found myself fantasizing about my own apartment someday. I was looking at air fresheners deciding what MY apartment would smell like. I was looking at cookie sheets and sprinkles. What I wouldn't give to be able to cook and bake. I was even imagining having a little dog. Such normal things that I have been deprived of these last 5 years.

Someday. Someday I might have all these things and when I do, I will really appreciate them. I'm glad that I am pursuing the career that I am, and I know that the sacrifices I make now are serving a purpose.

For those of you who don't know, I'm going to NYC for Easter! I am very excited and I will take lots of pictures and I'm sure I'll have lots of great stories. Hopefully none of them include how we got lost or robbed or something.

3 comments:

The Hitchcocks said...

Keep hoping, Katie! The pay-off is huge and totally worth it. I remember walking home from USF during my first year of teaching there, and suddenly thinking to myself, "Wow! I made it! I have a great job, I have my own house, I have lots of friends, and yes, I even have the dog!" I thought back to my long year in Aberdeen and was so thankful that I had stuck with it, even when I was pretty miserable.

Christina

Unknown said...

Katie - you have such wonderful insight on life and things in life that make each day a surprise! Everything you are doing will most certainly pay off! You are such an inspiration to me and you WILL someday have everything you deserve, the apartment/house, baking the cookies and yes, the little dog! Heck, I might even help you pick it out!!! :)
thanks for the reply from my blog. I miss Granpda tremendously too. I think of him all the time and worry about Grandma everyday. I sent her flowers yesterday to brighten her day up a bit....she called me and was so excited for them! Made me feel better because I'm not there to give her the hugs and stuff.

I am still looking at sometime to head out to see you. Are you going to be there through the summer? Donnie is currently traveling through the end of April, so that really doesn't give me the chance to come out, but I absolutely still want to! We will definitely have to chat!

Have a GREAT time in NYC on Easter! Can't wait to see the pix!
Love ya, Stacy

Anonymous said...

Katie... might I add to your thoughts on "normal life"... Although I do have some privileges, such as being able to cook and bake (Katie, I'm becoming so domestic, it's scary!) :) I also understand the living humbly thing- and I think it produces wonderful character... so give yourself a pat on the back- then repent out of humbleness for such a prideful act. :):) Haha, JK. LOVE YOU. Enjoy NY. Smile on the streets for me- redeem the solemn anti-friendly environment. :)