Sunday, March 30, 2008

calm after the chaos

Last weekend in NYC was such a wonderful time, but it was also a little chaotic. So much happened that I am still trying to sort everything out in my head. It was so great to have this week off (my second reading week for the semester) to recover from the trip. Although reading weeks are meant to catch up on homework and research, they are quite useful for catching up on sleep and pondering life in general.

This week I have been made aware through a few different sources of God's providential hand working in my life. Tuesday morning I had a job interview. The job is another part time job for the summer. A couple of my friends work at this place, which is affiliated with Gordon Conwell and is even on campus. The job is editing for an encyclopedia on Christians throughout the world. Well, I got the job, which is truly wonderful. Now when I come back to South Dakota in May, I won't have to wonder if there will be a job available upon my return.

So, I was telling my pastor here, Sarah, about this other job I will have this summer - to give her a heads up for scheduling and stuff. She made this comment to me that I found rather fascinating. She said, "Katie - God works really quickly with you." It's true. It seems that God is always working things out ahead of time for me. I have my new living situation worked out already. When I moved to MA, I had a job within the first two weeks - the first job I applied for.

Reflecting even further back, God has always managed to open doors for me that I didn't seek out. Working for the theology department (a life-changing job) fell into my lap - they asked me to work for them. Working for the camp (another life changing job) also wasn't in the plan, but God opened that door, too. I am beginning to realize that when an opportunity presents itself I need to act on it and be grateful. Most of the most wonderful experiences of my life have happened through seeming coincidence or being in the right place at the right time. Really, the more I dwell on it, it was God who made it possible. God is planning my life a lot better than I ever could!

On a related note - another great opportunity fell into my lap today. The organist at the church where I work and attend invited me to go to a Red Sox game with her and her family sometime this summer! I don't normally follow sports, but I'm not stupid enough to pass up an opportunity to experience Fenway Park! Especially after the Sox won the World Series this year! I've been to one other professional baseball game in my life. It was a Twins' game when Kirby Puckett still played - and apparently I fell asleep during the second half of the game. My mom once told me that everyone was doing the wave and she couldn't because I was sleeping on her lap. Hopefully I can manage to stay awake for this game - it might be a little awkward otherwise!

Another side note - completely unrelated: Friday night I ate my last package of Jolly Time Mallow Magic popcorn that Nancy sent me. Thanks again Nancy for sending me the wonderful treat. I have introduced that popcorn to a lot of really grateful girls.

1 comment:

Gina B said...

It's an atlas, not an encyclopedia. =P