Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A Little Update

Since it is the end of the semester, I thought I would give a quick little update as to what I have planned for the immediate future and, if I feel up to it, some reflections on my first year at seminary.

Schedule:
- Today I took my Hebrew final. Now I am officially done with Hebrew until I take an Old Testament exegesis course (unless I come to my senses and decide not to do that.) I've really enjoyed Hebrew for the most part.

- I will turn in my final paper on Monday (5th). I have referenced it before: Stanley Hauerwas. Ring any bells? Anyway - that will mark the end of my first year of seminary.

- Next week I will move out of my double-occupancy room into a single-occupancy room. It will be strange, but I am looking forward to the privacy of my own room. Maybe now I'll use that yoga mat I bought in January since I won't have to worry if Tina will walk in on me or not. I just don't think me doing yoga looks natural - but it will...

- Next weekend I fly home for two and a half weeks. Some of the highlights will be (there could very well be other highlights and the ones on this list might turn out to not be highlights, but just go with me on this) will be spending time with my family (yes, Mom - that includes my parents!) (a little inside joke with my mom... I love it.) Seeing friends, going to graduations, a wedding, watching the Anne of Green Gables movies - but not the third one. I was hoping to get on the lake while I was home - but South Dakota has had some unnatural weather lately, so I doubt I'll even bring my swimming suit home with me.

- When I get back, I will take two classes over SemLink this summer. That just means I will do them on my own. I will continue to work at the church. I am also starting another job in June that I have mentioned before. God has really provided when it comes to finding jobs. I hope that is a trend that will continue throughout my life!

So - basically that is my plan. Now, for some brief (and possibly silly) reflections.

- I watch a lot of movies. Movies are how I relax and my preferred method of procrastination. I cannot even count how many I've watched this year. I think I predicted it - but Netflix has become my best friend and worst enemy.

- I've learned to do things I never thought I'd know how to do. This year I learned what candle pin bowling is and discovered I'm not very good at it. I learned how to do some origami. I can make a lily, a tulip, a box, and a crane from memory. The fish will be next!

- I'm learning more foreign languages. Not only did I learn Hebrew and sit through all of my friends discuss Greek (luckily or perhaps unluckily I knew enough to follow their conversation), I have learned how to say one phrase in five languages - six if you will let me count English. I am sure that number will only grow!

- I've learned there are wonderful things about New England, but being so far away from my family can be very difficult. Not only have I missed most of Elizabeth's first year of life, I missed most of my Grandpa Henry's last year of life. The same can be said for my Grandma Rowen. It is a hard path to follow when it leads a person away from those they love.

- I've learned that even though I've been a student my whole life - I still love it. Sure, I have my days - but I couldn't imagine myself on any other path than the one I am on.

That's all I am capable of thinking about right now. Good luck to those finishing off semesters and may God bless those who are suffering an endless winter. May the snow quit falling soon!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

i'm one of those people who never read the anne books as a child and i've pretty much stopped admitting it since i get some pretty awful looks. but i do really want to read them and you've inspired me...however, i'm in the middle of the harry potter books, so they'll have to wait a bit. elizabeth has never seen the anne movies and i intend to make her watch them...very soon. i love them. have a great time at home katie!

Anonymous said...

Hi Miss Katie!

it's been awhile since I've commented on your blog. First of all, congratulations! You are 1/2 done w/ Gordon Conwell! I am proud of your origami skills, and I love that you're starting yoga. We actually started a yoga club after school this semester... and it has really gone well! I hope you are doing well- and that your time home is wonderful! I'm sad I won't be able to see you! When do you leave for New England again? I'm coming home Memorial day weekend. LOVE.