Sunday, April 13, 2008

A not so inside joke

In order to make sense of my project for this week, I must begin with a story from New York City. In fact, I must begin even further back to when I lived in Oxford. Only read on if you are willing to brave a long story with very little payoff at the end.

When I was in England I began emailing this girl who was going to work at Lake Poinsett Camp in the summer with me. I had never met her before, but she knew many of my friends. We talked of Europe (she spent a summer in France and is fluent in French.) When she found out I was going to Germany, she teasingly told me I should say "Ich habe keine Beine" to my German friends. The phrase means "I have no legs." Or something close to that - sorry to those of you who are actually fluent in German. Anyway - it was the beginning of an inside joke between us.

This girl is the same one I went to visit in New York City - Camber. While spending some time at Strands Bookstore (I highly recommend going there)I came across a book of French phrases. I was quizzing Camber to the best of my ability and came across the phrase "I broke my leg." We both laughed because of its similarities to the phrase she had taught me so long ago. I begged her to teach the phrase to me so that I would know how to say one phrase in French. The whole weekend I walked around practicing the phrase. At one point two ladies walking in front of us turned around and said I was doing well. It was a little awkward...

Well, this week I decided that it would be fun to learn this phrase in other languages as well. I wrote to many of my bilingual friends and they all responded. Currently, if asked, I can say the phrase "I broke my leg" in English, French, and German. I am still practicing the phrase in Spanish and Russian and have plans of learning it in Korean and Italian soon.

It's a silly project, but it is kind of fun. Reminds me that languages can be fun. Another project I did this week was a little more artsy. I modge-podged a tupperware container that holds all my office supplies. I had this calendar of England that had pictures for every day. One night I cut the calendar up since it was old and now the pictures are on this container. I think it turned out really well. I like it a lot. I probably would have modge-podged other things as well - if I had anything else!

I have been re-introduced to M. Night Shamalayan movies recently. Last week we watched the Village and last night we watched Lady in the Water. His movies really make me think and I like that. I have put Unbreakable on my Netflix queue. I hope it is as good as the others.

Thank you all for your prayers and kind words over this last week. Your friendship and love means so much to me.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I really enjoy Lady in the Water. Most other people I know don't like that one nearly as much as his others, but I thought it was hilarious, plus I love any movie that has such blatant literary/writing themes.

And the current word verification makes me smile and think of an elf.

Snzelfdw!