Sunday, September 21, 2008

Yeah, I like apples, you betcha!

I can already tell I will be struggling with interesting things to report this semester just because I spend about 90% of my "free time" reading for class. This week I used my extra 10% to watch the movie Fargo and go to an apple orchard.

What to say about Fargo... if you haven't seen it - don't. There are exceptions to that and if you like Coen brothers' movies - you are the exception. It just really kind of bothered me to think that such horrible things could happen in a place so close to home. On a lighter note - the accents are absolutely hilarious. I found this video on youtube that combines all the times a character says "yeah" in the movie:



Betcha you'll notice when people say "yeah".

Now on to the fun activity of picking apples! I returned to Russell Orchards in Ipswich to get me some apples right off the tree. I had been there previously over the summer to pick strawberries. It is such a cool place. There were a ton of people there today. We had to stand in line in order to get a hayride to the section of the orchard where the apple trees were. I haven't stood in a line that long since I was in NYC to buy tickets for a Broadway show. It was fun though, I have plenty of apples to eat, a few scrapes and a half-gallon of genuine apple cider. I also replenished my strawberry-rhubarb jam supply.

Here are some pictures:

I think was the best apple picked by any human being, ever.


Anna and I split the bag of apples. They were a little pricey,
but the experience is totally worth it.

First official roommate picture of all three of us.
Jen, Katie, Sarah


"Girl, these apples are heavy!" -Teal


Jen told me to climb the tree, even though it was against the rules.
I did climb it - here is the proof.


This picture was taken about 4 seconds after the previous picture.
I did fall off and landed on an apple - here is the proof.

This is my artistic achievement for the day.
Jen belongs outdoors - it is the most natural thing.

**You may notice a playlist on the right side of the screen. You should check out the songs! They are a random sampling of some things I've been listening to lately. Especially you, Dad!**

4 comments:

Critically Christian said...

wish I could of gone. Oh that's right people planned it on Sunday after I said I can't go on Sunday. Well I guess we see who isn't loved around here. haha

Dianna said...

That looks like a lot of fun!

I wish there were orchards around here. My parents went to one by Sioux Falls and apparently they got enough apples for a freezer full of apple pies. Craziness.

I liked Fargo. I'm sad you didn't like it, but not all that surprised. The Coens have a really dark sense of humor that for some reason is right up my alley as far as humor goes. There's usually a lot to "get" in Coen movie, and frequently you have to think like them in order to get anything out of their movies. "O Brother Where Art Thou?" is probably the one exception, as it's more mainstream than almost anything else they've done. You would probably hate "Burn After Reading" then. 90% of America doesn't get the Coens, so I'm probably just weird. *shrug*

I'm glad you're doing well!

Camber Carpenter said...

So...did you wear applebottom jeans when you picked apples? It's only appropriate.
I don't even know what applebottom jeans are, so you could say that you did and I would have to believe you.
Also, thanks for your comment about essence of bread, etc. I had never even thought about that. It's so interesting how completely different religions can have unexpected similarities. And how people may instinctively deny any such parallels.

The Hitchcocks said...

Hi Katie,

Just wanted to let you know that we've got a new blog going at http://dovecote1.blogspot.com

Hope your semester isn't too busy! Glad you're still having fun. We went to an apple orchard a couple of weeks ago and had a great time too.

Christina