Saturday, October 4, 2008

Dunkin Donuts and other highlights


This has been a great week - full of little ups and downs. The culmination of the week happened yesterday at Dunkin Donuts, but let me come back to that.

Sunday: I went to the airport to pick up Sarah (one of my roommates) and her boyfriend Jonathan. The news on Sarah is that she has been super sick this week. She was in Florida to play soccer. She wasn't feeling well before she left, but when she came back she had bronchitis. Not only that, after 2 trips to the ER this week, it was determined she actually has walking pneumonia. Yes. I am happy to report she is doing better - still coughing but active. There are a lot of people getting sick around here and even more in denial about it. I have been a little paranoid about getting sick because I really want to be able to enjoy Mom and Karen's visit.

Early this week: My friend Adam comes up to me in the lunchroom and asks what I am doing on Friday afternoon, to which I respond - nothing. I ask, "Why?" He responds that we couldn't talk about it there and he would call me later.

Early this week: My roommate Jennifer gives me a DVD of one of my favorite comedians, Daren Streblow. He's from northern Minnesota and absolutely hilarious. If you know me, you have probably seen this or have heard me quote it without realizing it. If you have yet to see it, talk to me - we will watch it.

Later that night: I discover that the DVD doesn't work in my computer. I'm a little upset. Okay, I was inconsolable for at least 14 minutes. I ended up watching more episodes of Corner Gas instead. Never heard of Corner Gas? Look it up. You won't regret it.

Wednesday afternoon: I get a call from Adam. He is wondering if I will help him in an elaborate scheme to give Ruth, his fiance, her engagement ring. Then he asks me if I would be willing to drive to Beverly...

Thursday: I discover that The Office won't be on because of the VP debate. I'm a little upset. Okay, I was inconsolable for at least 14 minutes. But, my friend Ruth (Adam's fiance) was coming over to hang out so that made me feel better. We watched clips of Daren Streblow online, played Snaps!, and had a theological discussion. Awesome night.

Friday: Class all day. 4:15 arrives. I sprint across Gordon Conwell and jump in my car to drive to Dunkin Donuts in Beverly. A single rose and a letter from Adam was in my hands. While walking down the hallway some guy asked if it was my birthday. I replied, "No." I get to Dunkin Donuts and sit at a table with the rose and letter. People stared. Probably reminded them of that scene in You've Got Mail. Ruth shows up. I hand her the rose and the letter. We chat.

Explanation: Adam had devised this elaborate "find the fiance" game for Ruth. He sent her all over Gordon Conwell and to this one Dunkin Donuts in Beverly (where they had their first date.) He involved their friends in this crazy scheme and I was one of those friends. It was my first time being involved in something so unabashedly romantic. It was fun! I am so happy for the two of them. May God bless their love and their upcoming marriage.

May God bless me in my reading and other work this week. 7 days until Mom and Karen come.

2 comments:

Critically Christian said...

first I am not in denial and I wish you would stop thinking that I am. Now please excuse me I have to cough.

Ok I am back and still feeling fine. So did you watch that DVD yet if not we should. I want to see what this guy is all about.

Kim said...

That's so sweet! What a great experience to be involved in something like that. I was part of Jesse and Tiffany Worthley's engagement last year (along with 20 other people) and it was great.