Thursday, October 9, 2008

Seasons of Life

Today at work I found myself writing thank you letters to people who had given contributions in memory of loved ones. Two men connected with the church passed away recently. As I wrote the line, "We are thinking and praying for you in this season of grief" I couldn't help but think of the word "season." Just as fall is a season in New England, grief seems to be a season of life. Just as fall comes around once a year, long periods of grief seem to come around a few times to each of us.

As many of you know, I lost two grandparents this last year, and one the year before that. This last year has been a season of grief for me, for my parents, for my extended family on either side. We all went through it and some of us, I suspect, are still going through it. I think especially of my grandmother - who has been adjusting to a new life this year.

I have been reading a lot this semester about justice. Inherent in the concept of justice is the concept of "injustice." I finished a book last week that talked a lot about the injustices that occured during World War II. The grief and pain that is still very real today as it was 60 years ago. So, perhaps there are seasons of grief in our lives, but our lives are also marked by our griefs. I am not the same person I was when I came to MA because I have had to say goodbye to people I dearly love. One can't help but grow in those experiences.

Just when I think that I am done thinking about what has happened - I blog about it again. I am not sure I will fully move on from this. Death has entered my life and altered its course. Not dramatically, but there is a change.

I really miss Albert. I really miss John. I really miss Vivian.

The good news is that grief isn't the only season in life. There are also seasons of joy, of contentment, of learning, and the list goes on. We learn from all these seasons and they offer insight into who we are and who God is shaping us to be. I struggle at different times because I often am anxious to be done with whatever season I am currently in. But that is silly. It would be like driving around in New England in the fall and wishing the trees would be bare already.

I pray that I will slow down and listen to God's voice. I pray that I will see and hear and feel and take what I am meant to from this season of life. I pray that I do not become overwhelmed by any one season and therefore miss out on all the joy and wonder and dare I say it... grief... other seasons have to offer.

And finally, I pray for my mom and Karen that they may be safe as they travel out here to visit me for the week. They arrive on Saturday. Pray also that they can have a fun trip. Just having my mom here is enough of a blessing for me.

3 comments:

Critically Christian said...

Thank you for that. A word needed in my life.

Jennifer said...

Thank you so much for sharing your heart and your insights...you bless me.

Camber Carpenter said...

525,600 minutes.
My brother-in-law made a comment once that I'll never forget. He thinks of life in moments, not years. He married my sister in 2004, which he said was the most amazing thing ever, but lost his mom to cancer that same year. Time is a human concept. It's rigid (especially in China where the whole country is on one time, despite the fact that it stretches over 6 time zones...)
ANYWAY, the point is that time is immaterial and that you're totally right about intentionally living within whatever season you find yourself or put yourself.
Thanks for sharing---and have FUN with jo mama this week!