Sunday, January 18, 2009

Like Mother, Like Daughter

It is said that daughters often turn into their mothers.  Well, it's true.

When I was home for Christmas, I got to see my grandmother again.  Since I am not home often, I am struck by the similarities between her and my own mother.  They physically resemble each other, but there are other personality driven similarities.  My mom and I joked about them saying to one another, "Remember that for the future."

Today I discovered a similarity between my mother and me.  Granted, there are a lot and I am grateful to reflect my mother in many ways.  This particular trait was not one I wanted to pick up and when I discovered that I had, I just had to laugh at myself.

Growing up, my mother always wore a sweater around the house.  It was a button-up sweater, similar to the one that Mr. Rogers wore on his show (only not red.)  There have been many over the years and they have varied in style and color.  It didn't matter if the sweater matched the rest of what she was wearing because, as I'm sure she would rationalize, "who's going to see it?"

Well, recently I rearranged my room and now my desk is next to one of my drafty windows.  I was getting a little chilly and I went and put on my zip-up fleece.  Later I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and realized that this fleece is my sweater.  I wear it all the time in my room.  It doesn't matter if it matches or not because no one is going to see me, and if they do - who cares?  In this small little way, I have become my mother.

No comments: