Monday, February 2, 2009

Superbowl Sunday

That title is sort of misleading in that I didn't actually watch the superbowl yesterday.  Instead, I woke up at 4 am and watched the men's singles finals for the Australian Open.  My favorite player, Roger Federer of Switzerland (#2 in the world) was playing Rafael Nadal of Spain (#1 in the world.)  

The last time these two players competed for a major tournament title was at Wimbledon - at match that will go down in tennis history - a match I didn't manage to see.  I wasn't going to let that happen again - hence waking up in the middle of the night to watch tennis.

The tennis was fun to watch.  They are the two best players in the world and for the most part playing at the top of their game.  However, when all was said and done - Nadal ended the night with the championship cup and Federer with the silver plate.  It was hard to watch as Federer struggled to give a speech - something I had never seen him do before.  His dissapointment had brought him to tears.  It is good to see someone like Federer who is considered one of the best players of all time show how much this game means to him.  It's not about the money.




What I thought was really great was how Nadal treated Federer.  He consoled him and comforted him and honored him.  This is true sportsmanship - and one of the reasons I love watching tennis so much.  Nadal has earned my respect and I am more than happy to root for him (when he's not playing Federer!)

I read an article today about Michael Phelps apologizing for the picture of him doing drugs surfaced.  It seems to be very difficult these days to live up to the standards people have for you, especially if you are a famous athlete.  However, Federer and Nadal have proven that it is possible to be classy, dignified, and a great athlete.

On a personal side note - started going to the gym again.  One of my roommates is planning out a workout plan for me.  Feel free to keep me accountable and ask me how it's going when we talk.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I am sad that Federer lost too...but as I've watched Nadal during this Open I have found myself liking him more and more. The best tennis to watch is when they play each other because they are amazing athletes, and they are always very gracious to one another. I love that you wrote about this because I was touched by this as well. Tennis rocks (especially when it's Federer and Nadal!). AND as I was watching the Super Bowl last night I kept thinking about how it was so boring compared to watching the Australian Open.