Friday, February 27, 2009

Movie Moments Part 2

I'm continuing this now because it's Friday and I don't want to do any homework after sitting through a 3 hour lecture.  Let us continue with my favorite movie moments!

Lars and the Real Girl

Favorite Moment:  This movie is made up of so many little moments that are so amazing.  If I had to choose - which I am making myself do - I would pick the moment when Lars realizes Bianca has a life of her own without him.  She was on her way to a party at the hospital and the lady giving her a ride tells Lars that no woman would just sit around all day and wait for him.  Even female dolls need their independence!

License to Wed

Favorite Moment:  3 words:  Never to Fart.  The whole scene where they debate whether or not the letter on the form is a P or an F is awesome.  Not to mention that it features Angela Kinsey of The Office and Bob Balaban (any Christopher Guest movie) who stole the scene.

Little Women

Favorite Moment:  How can I choose?  Any scene with Beth (Claire Danes) makes me sob.  When she gets the piano from Mr. Lawrence and her final speech to Jo.  In that speech she talks about being content with staying home, but that now she was going ahead of her sisters into the unknown.  [insert sobbing here]

Matilda

Favorite Moment:  Trunchbull is the principal of an elementary school and she hates children, but loves sweets.  One child has eaten her chocolate cake and for punishment has him eat an entire chocolate cake during an assembly.  The cake would feed like 50 people at least.  While the boy triumphs with the support of his peers thus foiling her plan - she succeeds in making me think about that scene every time I see chocolate cake.

Muriel's Wedding

Favorite Moment:  Again - a very small moment, but I bought the movie because of it.  Muriel ends up marrying an olympian swimmer who is trying to get Australian citizenship.  As Muriel comes down the aisle to ABBA's "I do, I do, I do" just beaming (this is her ultimate dream) he turns and gives this look... how to describe the look.  It's like he's been dropped kicked in the gut - it's hilarious and kind of sad at the same time.  The whole movie is that way, in fact.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Favorite Moment:  This movie is endlessly quotable.  "I don't know, I don't know, I don't know because nobody talk to me about nothing no more!"  "Why do you want to leave me?!"  "In my neck was my twin..."  and on it goes.  My favorite moments in this movie happen between Toula and her brother.  First is at the baptism when Toula doubts her value and her brother reassures her and reminds her that she is worth what Ian is doing for her.  The second is when her brother tells her he is taking some classes in art.  Not only do our actions change our lives, but the lives of those around us.  

Newsies

Favorite Moment:  The reprise of "Seize the Day" in front of Pullitzer's building.  The choreography is preparing us for the impending fight they boys will face.  It is also the only time we really see the main characters doing the same choreography as the other newsies.  Finally - love it because the actually reprise fills out the song with more harmony.  Dancing, singing, fighting, Christian Bale... recipe for a great movie.  

Once

Favorite Moment:  I love the part when Marketa Irglova's character is acting as Glen Hansard's agent toward the loan officer.  She picks out his suit and then becomes very outspoken during the interview.  It's much easier to defend someone else's talent than your own.  The whole movie is about two people having a real connection although they barely know one another - this is just one example of many.

Penelope

Favorite Moment:  Any moment with Peter Dinklage.  I think one of the best is when the character Edward licks Max's hand because Max has covered his mouth to stop him from talking.  Max says "He licked me" in disgust and Peter Dinklage's character, acting as the father figure to these two young men, tells Edward "ugh... don't lick Max."  Sometimes we find ourselves uttering the most ridiculous sentences in all seriousness.  I can only imagine what words come out of most parents' mouths with little children...

Persuasion

Favorite Moment:  Watching Captain Wentworth listen to Anne Elliot basically confessing her feelings for him (Wentworth) after over 8 years of being apart.  She's not confessing to him, but to another man during a discussion about whether males or females love the longest after a relationship has ended.  His face is priceless.  

Another 10 down.  I hope you find this interesting.  It's making me want to watch all of these movies now - and since I own them it is very tempting.

No comments: