Friday, February 27, 2009

Favorite Movie Moments Part 1

Description of project: Katie will go through the movies she owns and describe her favorite moments from said movies and explain the significance of that moment. Some will be thought-provoking. Some will be comforting. Some will be revealing. Most will be lighthearted and silly (thereby revealing Katie's true character.) The movies will be covered in alphabetical order. 10 movies per post.

A Midsummer Night's Dream

Favorite moment:  Despite the all-star cast including Kevin Kline, Michelle Pfeiffer, Christian Bale and Stanley Tucci, my favorite moment comes from Sam Rockwell who is forced to play a woman in the play within the movie.  Normally the scene is played over the top to emphasize the ridiculous nature, but in this version, it is played very tenderly.  Rockwell takes off his wig and his voice is low as he laments over the death of his lover (in the play.)  Right when I was expecting to laugh I nearly cried.  

Bananas: Darren Streblow

This isn't actually a movie, but it is a DVD on my shelf.  Darren Streblow is a Christian stand-up comedian.  My favorite joke has to be either buck-tooth deer or larva boy.  I also love that he's from northern Minnnesota.  Go to http://www.darrenstreblow.com to see clips from his show. Hilarious stuff and totally clean.

Bend It Like Beckham

Favorite Moment:  Such a small moment in this movie, but so hilarious.  When Jules shows up at Jess' sister's wedding with her mother, her mother sees Jess wearing her shoes and says "Get your lesbian feet out of my shoes!"  Then a little old Indian lady says, "Lesbian... I thought she was a pisces."  I'm laughing now just thinking about that line.  Classic.  By the way, I'm a pisces. 

Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog

Favorite Moment:  There are so many.  I'll have to go with the song "My Eyes" which is a duet between Dr. Horrible and Penny (the good girl he secretly loves.)  One is singing of a world that is falling deeper and deeper into evil while the other sings of a world that has more and more hope.  It reminds me that reality has a lot to do with how we perceive it.  If we focus on the bad things happening (and there are plenty of terrible things happening) we might be overwhelmed.  However, if we focus on the many good things that are happening, we also might be overwhelmed.

First Knight

Favorite Moment:  Sean Connery as King Arthur is the best part of this movie.  The best line is when he tells the bad guy... forgetting name right now... that there are laws that enslave men and laws that set them free.  As a Christian that line is something straight out of Paul.  We were once enslaved to sin, but now we are enslaved to Christ and to one another in service.  Our new enslavement is our freedom.  

Fools Rush In

Favorite Moment:  In most romantic comedies one of the characters have some sort of obsession or some object that means a lot to them.  The other character then procures that object and the first person knows that the other person really cares.  What I like about this movie is that the object in question is a hotdog from New York City.  Bonding over hotdogs...

Goodnight and Good Luck

Favorite Moment: This whole movie is my favorite moment.  If I had to draw your attention to one thing - it would be the quote that Murrow uses to critique McCarthy "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves."  Sometimes bad things happen and we believe that it is just our fate and submit to evil out of fear.  It is our fear that creates a lot of problems.  We are flawed - we are depraved.  We must learn not to rely on ourselves, but on God.  

Hairspray

Favorite Moment:  One quote:  "Be ready for a whole lot of ugly coming at you from a never-ending parade of stupid."  This was said to an interracial couple concerning those who do approve of such things.  Although this movie is set in the 60s, there are many couples who probably feel they are the recipients of such parades.

Hope Floats

Favorite Moment:  Great advice.  "Beginnings are scary, endings are usually sad, but it's the middle that counts the most.  Try to remember that when you find yourself at a new beginning.  Just give hope a chance to float up.  And it will."  So true...

Someone Like You (out of order alphabetically because it is in the same case as Hope Floats)

Favorite Moment:  Hugh Jackman.  Oh wait, that's not a moment...  Let's see.  Jane's speech about real men is pretty good.  The true test of character for any person is to see how they handle crisis.  Real men (and women for that matter) stick with you and go through the tough times with you.  

3 comments:

Critically Christian said...

So seminary must not be presenting you a challenge if you have this much free time on your hands.

Kim said...

First of all--may I borrow First Knight from you? It could be applicable to my research. And I would have to agree with you about Hugh Jackman. I haven't even seen that movie, but he's the best part of any show he's in.

I enjoy getting to hear your thoughts on movies--I'm looking forward to the next installment!

Dianna said...

Hugh Jackman = amazing. I love him.

Also, I have far too many movies to do such a list, but I may pick my two favorites from each box (yes, box. We have 8 boxes with 16 movies in each...). Anyway. I like this idea. I'm stealing it.

And the word verification thing today is "extrode." Almost sounds like a real word.