Thursday, February 5, 2009

this scares me...

Confession: I don't know what I'm doing starting in May and it scares me.

Whenever a person nears a graduation, they inevitably get the question, "So what are you going to do now?" I've never had a problem answering that question because I was going on for more education. This time I don't know what to say. I say, I'm going home. That's all I know right now.

Someone asked me the other day if I had begun applying for jobs - no. The problem is that I have no idea what kind of job I am qualified for. I look at teaching jobs with no experience or education credentials. I'll have a masters and end up in a job someone out of high school could do because that is where my work experience leaves me. I have spent my time during school working mostly as a secretary and at the church camp (with the exceptions of dream dinners and the USF writing center.)

I have thought about teaching English in a foreign country - specifically Korea. I keep coming back to that, but I want to be home for a little while before I leave again - at least a year. That means I need to find something for a year. Perhaps Korea won't happen - I'm just not sure at this point. If anyone thinks that Korea is an adventure you'd like to try - let me know!

The reason I am confessing the biggest stress in my life is that I need prayer. I need some direction for the immediate future - God has been faithful in providing jobs for me thus far - pray that he continues to open doors and provide opportunities for me.

Along with prayer, if you are aware of a job opportunity that might suit me - please let me know. Any advice of where to be looking for jobs would be appreciated.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I'm looking for a research assistant to help me with my papers. I won't be able to pay you anything, hope that's not problem. Just kidding :)

I'll be praying for you friend.

Kim said...

It is a scary thought. Sometimes I panic just thinking about what to do this summer, let alone when I finish my degree. Is there a specific reason you talk about Korea for teaching abroad? It would be interesting, for sure, but most people who have talked about doing that talk about Japan.

Camber Carpenter said...

Definitely praying that you'll find your path.
You have a lot to give to the world. Of course I think that teaching abroad (or maybe some other job) is an excellent idea.
Do it NOW--before things like men, mortgages, and car payments take over your life.
okay, stepping off the soapbox.
Come to HK. :)