Saturday, February 28, 2009

Movie Moments Part 3

The next installment of Katie's favorite movie moments.  I have decided not to include the tv shows that I own (Psych seasons 1&2, Ugly Betty Season 1) because there is way too much material for me to choose a favorite moment.  

Pirates of the Caribbean 3: At World's End

Favorite Moment:  I bought this movie because I love the soundtrack.  As far as my favorite moment in the movie, however, I would have to say the scene where they elect the pirate king.  It's loud, chaotic, and nobody ever knows what's going on in Jack Sparrow's head.  Plus - I enjoy anytime that a female character goes on a journey towards self-discovery and in this series Elizabeth goes through a great journey.

Pride & Prejudice

Favorite Moment:  This is such a wonderful adaptation of the book (and I am a fan of the BBC version.)  My favorite moment comes from Tom Hollander (Mr. Collins) because he plays the character so different from what anyone would expect.  My favorite moment is at the private ball when Mr. Collins is trying to persue Elizabeth.  During the montage that is not really a montage there is a scene where he stands in the middle of the room holding a single flower and he exhales (as if in defeat.)  It's such a sweet little moment.  Later the flower returns when he proposes to Elizabeth.

P.S. I Love You

Favorite Moment:  Gerard Butler during the flashback of when his character and Hilary Swank's character first meet in Ireland.  The whole scene is priceless, actually.  Each person trying to impress the other and talking about things that neither person understands.  It's very innocent and funny and the scenery is gorgeous.  

Rent

Favorite Moment:  When the HIV support group sings "Another Day" beginning with the New Yorker who talks about how he doesn't always trust what the therapist says but will do it because it seems to be working.  There are some moments in that musical that are so real even though the characters are singing and that is one of them.  

Runaway Bride

Favorite Moment:  This is another movie where the main character goes on a journey of self-discovery.  I wonder what that says about me...  that's for another post.  Small moment that always cracks me up features Joan Cusack (the quirky best friend) cheering on her husband while trying not to move her lips.  It just seems like something I would have done.

Runaway Jury

Favorite Moment:  Since this is a John Grisham movie, you know there is a great twist at the end.  The best part is when the "bad guys" discover the twist when it is too late to do anything about it.  I've decided to stay vague about this particular movie in case you haven't seen it, because you really should see it.  You can borrow it from me if you like.

Sabrina

Favorite Moment:  Sabrina's first day in the fashion industry in Paris.  They are speaking French or barely recognizable English to her, she's running around like a mad man, she turns on a fan which causes the model to drop her contact which Sabrina then proceeds to step on... all in all it is just a bad day.  Later on the phone with her father, he's trying to console her and says that not everybody in Paris thinks she's an idiot to which she responds: that's only because they haven't met me yet.  That makes her character so real and believable.

Sense & Sensibility

Favorite Moment:  Some of these movies are so difficult to pick a favorite moment!  The best moment, for me, is when Elinor is so overcome with emotion that she just cannot hold it in anymore and starts to cry... really cry.  I know that feeling and as the audience I am so happy for her because she's finally able to feel what she hasn't allowed herself to feel for nearly the entire movie.  Emma Thompson just blows my mind and I love it.

Sister Act

Favorite Moment:  The first time we hear the shy nun sing out in church.  It's such a triumphant moment, I only wish they would have built that up a little bit more.  I also wish that it was that actress's real voice - but we can't get everything we wish for.  I also really love Sister Mary Clarence's table grace which is a mash up of the Lord's prayer, Psalm 23, the marriage vows, and the pledge of allegiance - what a great piece of writing.

Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit

Favorite Moment:  I love singing in movies, if you haven't noticed already.  I own a lot of musicals and there are still a couple more to go.  My favorite moment in this movie is the duet of "His Eye Is on the Sparrow."  It's a beautiful rendition and that is the moment of revelation for the lead character - she wants to sing.  


That makes 30 movies so far.  I didn't realize I owned so many!  And yet - I never seem to have anything to watch.  :)

3 comments:

Critically Christian said...

I am happy to report that our movie collections have only collided twice thus far. I think that is impressive.

Kim said...

You have very good taste, though. And Dianna is right, your idea is inspiring. Sometime next week, when I feel my current paper is driving me insane, I may have to steal it as well!

Dianna said...

The term for that particular scene in Pride and Prejudice is a "mise en scene." It's a French term meaning one long continuous shot - at least, that's what it's translated as. It's a very interesting technique that Woody Allen and Wes Anderson both use a lot.

Also, have I given you email permission to view my blog? I've closed it to public readers, but I think you would enjoy my copying of your post. :) email me at dianna_anderson@baylor.edu so I can add your email to my permissions.