Friday, July 4, 2008

Favorite Authors

My friend Jennifer tagged me in her blog about favorite authors inviting me to answer three questions concerning my favorite authors. This is more difficult that I originally anticipated because I read quite diverse things and have my favorites within the different genres in which I read. It is also difficult because I really get into one author for awhile and then I move on and rarely go back to read them again. So, with that said, here are my responses.

Who is your favorite author and why?

There are a lot of authors that I have a great deal of respect for and have enjoyed the books of theirs that I have read: Victor Hugo, John Steinbeck, JK Rowling (weird to put her on this list...) CS Lewis, JRR Tolkien, Lois Lowry, etc. With the except of Rowling, I have not read the entire repertoire of any of these authors and do not feel motivated to do so, yet. However, I have had a strong desire for awhile to read all of Jane Austen, so I will list her as my favorite author. Currently I am in the middle of Mansfield Park and am enjoying it very much.

As far as my academic reading is concerned (I feel this should be included since I spend more time reading this stuff than fiction) I have two primary favorites: Stanley Hauerwas and Dallas Willard. Both of these men appealed to me intellectually and spiritually. They are challenging and uplifting at the same time and I have tremendous respect for both of these men and their writing.

Who was your first favorite author and why?

This is a little embarrasing, but it is true and so I need to just own up to it. My first favorite author was R.L. Stine. He wrote the Goosebumps series. When I was a kid, I liked reading these books instead of the more traditional Boxcar Children or Little House on the Prairie books. I think I read most of the goosebumps series. The first book I read in one day was a Goosebumps book (Phantom of the Auditorium). Thankfully, I have grown out of that stage.

My first favorite author in the field of theological writing was actually Max Lucado. I remember walking into a Christian bookstore for the first time in my life and looking through the books. His book And He Still Moves Stones had a nice cover and seemed interesting so I bought it. For about a year after that I just consumed his books. I borrowed them from the pastor across the street. They were crucial to my early development as a Christian and I am thankful for that.

Who is the newest addition to your favorite authors and why?

The newest addition is probably L.M. Montgomery, author of the Anne of Green Gables series. I finally read them this year and fell in love with the world she created on Prince Edward Island. Anyone who creates a heroine with red hair and have her hate her red hair has got it right in my book.

As for theology - I am always looking for new favorites. This may not count, but Kathleen Norris' book Dakota was great and I would love to read more of her. I also enjoyed reading Barth's Evangelical Theology, but am not in a hurry to read more of his right now.


So, Jennifer, this blog was primarily for you. I hope you enjoyed it.

For everyone else - Happy 4th of July!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I am very pleased...good work! :-) I particularly enjoyed the RL Stine confession.

Happy 4th - celebrate for me today, okay?