Saturday, June 28, 2008

Pride and Prejudice

Recently I watched the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice for the very first time. I have been aware for quite some time the strong preference many people (mostly female I will admit) have for the BBC version of the film over the newer Focus Features version starring Kiera Knightley. I am a fan of the Focus Features version, but after actually reading the novel this fall I wanted to see the other version and form my own assessment.

Since it is on 2 DVDs, I watched it over 2 nights. The first night I watched the first disc and the second night I watched the second. Not sure that needed to be said.. oh well. After the first night I was still favoring the Focus Features version of the film, but after the second night I found myself favoring the BBC version as well.

As a movie buff, I watched the two movies and was determined to compare them based on their appeal as movies and not their faithfulness to the books. It is a difficult task, but I think that is only fair because the Focus Features version has no choice but to leave out certain parts in the book lest the movie be 5 hours long like the BBC version.

What I like about the BBC version:
- Portrayal of Mr. Darcy. Colin Firth really makes you dislike Darcy. His first proposal was fantastically rude and arrogant and you completely understand why Elizabeth can refuse him. But, Firth also does a wonderful job of the transformation of Darcy that is more evident in this version of the film. By the end he is truly desirable and the Darcy all Austen fans know and love.

- The extended Wickam storyline. I don't blame focus features for leaving this out, but this film makes it more understandable as to why Wickam and Lydia run away together. It is not quite clear in the focus features version.

- The inclusion of Charolotte's younger sister. This is so minor that I probably shouldn't mention it, but whenever this character was on the screen I found myself laughing out loud. Also, it should be mentioned that the actress portrayed Dawn (Pam's counterpart) on the British version of the Office.

What I liked about the Focus Features version:
- Lady Catherine played by Dame Judy Dench. Frankly, you just cannot have a better Lady Catherine. She just oozes condemnation - love it.

- Mr. Darcy's profession of love. I really do enjoy MacFadyen when he just blurts out how he loves Elizabeth. It is like he is surprized by his statement as much as he is about his feelings toward her.

- I much prefer Donald Sutherland as Mr. Bennett. He is just more subtle in his portrayal. The actor in the BBC version is by no means bad, but he gave me the impression of being on stage rather than in a movie.

Things I liked about both:

- I enjoyed both portrayals of Mr. Collins. Tom Hollander especially is just fantastic, but the BBC is quite good as well. The character itself is just comic gold.

- The overbearing and dramatic mothers are quite good in both.

- The portrayal of Jane in both is quite good. I think that the BBC version does a better job of giving Jane some depth, but the Focus Features version really does a great job of making us understand how someone could believe her indifference.

I am sure there is more I could say, but I need to get going. Feel free to disagree with me, if you must.

2 comments:

The Hitchcocks said...

Have you seen the old version with Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier? They're wonderful!

Christina

Jennifer said...

So, I (gasp!) haven't seen the BBC version yet even though everyone keeps saying that I have to watch it. I don't know why I keep putting it off...

Two people from South Dakota came into the coffee shop where I work today! It was really quite exciting...I thought of you. :-)