Monday, June 16, 2008

No Longer Father's Day

Some of you may have noticed my allusion to a blog that I was going to write for Father's Day. I had every intention of writing a blog dedicated to my wonderful father yesterday, but that did not happen. I would like to say that I just got too busy and didn't have time for it, but that would not be true. I would like to say that my internet was spotty and I couldn't get online, but again that would be false. The reason that I didn't write a blog yesterday was that I was a little bit (ok - a whole lot) homesick and felt that any blog I tried to write would be way too sentimental and full of self-pity. Even I don't want to read stuff like that. So, my apologies to my dad who completely deserves an awesome blog post. Hopefully this can make up for it a little bit.

So many things come to mind when I think about my dad. His love for motorcycles comes to mind almost immediately, as does his new riding lawnmower (which is a John Deere!) But what I really love about my dad is how wise and sensitive he is. Whenever I have gone through something difficult he has understood and known what to say. Whenever I am unsure about my future - he is there to reassure me.

The first summer that I didn't live at home was the summer after I graduated from high school. I was working at the camp (the first of five summers there). I was home for the day and spent the afternoon pulling up dandelions in the yard. Dad and I made our way around the yard and as we pulled weeds we talked about life. I already knew at that time that I would go to USF and major in theology/philosophy. I remember telling him that I didn't know exactly what I would do with that major. I had thought possibly being a youth minister or something, but I just wasn't sure. My dad, in his wisdom, told me "Katie, it's okay. It's like you've decided to go north. That's a big decision. You just don't know how far north you will go or if you will perhaps go a little northeast or northwest." The analogy may seem a little obscure, but I remember feeling really comforted by that. He understood what I was telling him and in his own way assured me that I was on the right path.

I also love how Dad shows his emotions. It is nice to come home to parents who are visibly happy to see their children. To a father who gets excited to play board games on Friday night (a trait that has definitely passed to his daughter.) It is nice to come into a reception and see tears welling up in his eyes because he is so proud of something I've done. It is nice to have a father who when I am in the depths of despair can be right there with me.

Most of all - I love my dad because he is mine. He makes me laugh. He makes me angry. He makes me proud. He makes me love him because he is who he is. Happy belated Father's Day!

Love you Dad!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a phenomenal dedication to your Dad! I am sure he is crying after reading that!

Stacy