Saturday, June 21, 2008

Books...

This last week I had a conversation with an old friend about books. I read a lot for school, but I also try to always have a book to read for fun. I thought it might be fun to keep track of the books I've read for fun this past year. Also, it might be helpful for me sometime to have a record somewhere.

Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger

I have wanted to read this book since I watched the movie Conspiracy Theory with Mel Gibson. His character buys a copy whenever he sees it because it makes him feel normal. Something about how everyone has read that book. I hadn't read that book, so I thought I better so I could be "normal" too. It was a well-written book, but it made me very apathetic. The main character is restless and I felt the same when I read the book. That is a mark of good writing because I was drawn into the world of the book, but bad because it took me forever to finish the book. Like the main character, I would stop caring about stuff - including finishing the book.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

I own the newer version of this movie and I had seen the Wishbone episode featuring this story way back in the day, but I had never read the book before now. The only Austen book I had read prior to this was Northanger Abbey. This is a great book. It is no wonder Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennett are beloved literature characters.

Half of Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

I liked Jane Eyre written by Emily's sister Charlotte, but I did not like Wuthering Heights. In fact, it is the only book that I stopped reading halfway through because I hated it. There is not one character that I like or that I could identify with. Some told me that it would redeem itself in the end, so I watched a movie version of the book. The end did not justify the book for me. In fact, I wanted to shut off the movie at the same point I quit reading the book.

Dakota by Kathleen Norris

This is a nonfictional spiritual book by Kathleen Norris who lives in Lemmon, SD. She talks about what life is like in Western SD from someone who is not a native and combines her experiences with her spiritual growth. It was a fascinating book and she is very insightful into the culture of a small Dakota town.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling

I finally finished the Harry Potter series. Great books. Lots of interesting themes to explore within them.

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

The prequel to The DaVinci Code which I have also read. I think Dan Brown is a good writer and I liked this book better than the DaVinci Code. However, after reading 4 or 5 of his books, it is easy to see the pattern and predict the outcome. Having said that, they are great travel books.

Pontoon by Garrison Keillor

My first Keillor book. A funny book that utilizes the small northern midwestern quirks for its humor. I found myself laughing hysterically at his portrayal of the different characters because there is a kernel of truth in them. At the same time I felt a little defensive while reading the book thinking that people shouldn't be laughing at my upbringing. But in the end - an enjoyable book.

Emma by Jane Austen

It is my goal to read all of Jane Austen's books. I really liked Emma, but I knew I would. I had seen and liked the movie version with Gwenyth Paltrow and it usually follows that the books are better than the movies. Also, I like Mr. Knightley more than I like Mr. Darcy.

Anne of Green Gables series (Books 1-6) by LM Montgomery

I have decided to take a break from the Anne books before reading the last two. I've been reading these books since the end of March - I need a break. My favorite book was Anne of the Island with Anne's House of Dreams coming in a close second. I also watched the first 2 movies while I was home. I was a little disappointed that they didn't draw more from Anne of the Island for the second movie. It is really too bad they didn't ask me!

Currently reading: Temptation by Diogenes Allen

It is the book all the theology majors received when we graduated from USF. I've been meaning to read it for about a year. It is sort of like a devotional going through the temptations that Christ went through and what we should take from Christ's example in dealing with those temptations.

Planning to read:

My next book will probably be Mansfield Park by Jane Austen. I'm ready to dive back into some Austen!

2 comments:

Kim said...

I like your list. I, too am reading some Austen this summer. I've read most of her works already, but currently I'm in the middle of Sense and Sensibility. It's not quite as well written as her later works, but I am enjoying it thoroughly. I read Emma last summer and you're right--Mr. Knightly is pretty much amazing. And I really think you should watch the older movie version of Pride and Prejudice. It's longer, but it's truer to the book and much more enjoyable. It's long, and it starts off a bit slow, but the second half makes it very much worth the time commitment.

You know, I think I may copy your idea later this summer and make a list of all the books I managed to read while at work at the park.

Amanda said...

i'm so glad you're reading austen, too...i remember walking in oxford at some point, and talking about how neither of us had really read any austen. then i read northanger abbey that school year, and totally thought of you the whole time. since then i've read all of hers except i haven't finished emma. and another thing, i don't like wuthering heights, either! i haven't gotten as far as you though...so good work on that. i miss you...i hate it that i always miss you on skype. someday i'll be here. keep trying.