Monday, April 20, 2009

Books...

Last June I blogged about the books I was reading for fun and had a sudden desire to do so again.  That is probably because I've been reading books all day that are for a paper and hence not fun.

I will begin where I left off...

Mansfield Park by Jane Austen

This was a great book.  I found myself spending the afternoon reading this rather than doing my semlink this summer.  I identified very much with Fanny Price - the heroine.  She is, by far, the most moral of Jane Austen's characters.  I also enjoyed that the aunt had a pug - gotta love people with pugs.  What I am most dissapointed about is how the movie version changes the storyline so much.  It makes Fanny into a independent feminist writer (not a bad thing in and of itself) but that is not who Fanny is (in the book).

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

You will notice very quickly that I read a lot of Jane Austen this year.  I loved this book as well.  Eleanor and Marianne are such wonderful characters.  As I read this book, I pictured the cast from the 1995 movie (Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet, Hugh Grant, etc.)  It is quite a long book, however.  Brace yourself for quite a ride.

Persuasion by Jane Austen

This book concluded my Jane Austen run while at Seminary.  I have now read all six.  I have to say that it took me awhile to get into this book, but by a happy accident my mother bought me the movie version for Christmas because it looked like something I might ask for.  I immediately fell in love with the movie and the book became one of my all-time favorites soon after.

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

This book was one of my Christmas presents.  I wanted to read it while living in MA.  I had already visited Orchard House and seen the movie about 20 times so I was pretty familiar with the story.  The book was wonderful and not a week after I finished I returned to Orchard House for the second time.  Having been in their home and seen where Louisa actually wrote the book makes this family so real to me.  Even at this moment I am listening to the soundtrack to the movie because it helps to motivate me.

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

I found this book in the basement of the church where I work.  I asked if I could borrow it to read it and I just finished it last night, actually.  It is one of those books I've been meaning to read for ages and had just never gotten around to it.  It makes me want to read the entire LOTR trilogy now.  In highschool I managed to read the Fellowship of the Ring, but not the others.  Perhaps I will tackle that series soon.

My next goal is to work on the works of CS Lewis.  I got a compilation for Christmas, but left it at home since I knew I wouldn't get to it this semester.  It will be a good way for me to keep up with some sort of theological reading since I will soon be done with seminary!

4 comments:

Natalie said...

These are all excellent books. Way to go Katie! I must confess, though, that I've never read The Hobbit. It's on my list, not to fear.

Kim said...

That is a good collection of books. I read Mansfield Park while I was home for Christmas, and while I very much enjoyed it, it seemed to go on forever. Her other works seem to flow a bit better. I wonder if it's because it's one of her earlier works? I don't know.

Jennifer said...

It pleases me to no end that you liked The Hobbit...one of my favorites!

Amanda said...

good work with jane austen! i love it how we have both fallen in love with her and didn't used to like her. northanger abbey lit the spark. now that you've read little women, you need to read good wives. one of my all time favs! miss you katie.