Friday, December 7, 2007

The Inevitable Tunnel

During my correspondence with some of you, I have likened this next period of research to a dark tunnel. I am now about to enter that tunnel, not to see the light until the 18th when I embark on my trip home for Christmas.

I like this imagery for so many reasons. For one - I will be holed up in what amounts to a cave also known as my room (I might try the library which has the affectionate nickname of "the catacombs" around here.) I will submerge myself in a lifestyle of intense reading, thinking, criticizing, praising and writing. Other necessities become secondary in such a lifestyle. I own a movie called "IQ" which is a romantic comedy and one of the characters must pretend to be this great academic - a great thinker. So what does he do? He messes up his hair, doesn't care if his clothes match, uses a rope for a belt, etc. This stereotype comes from the academic stuck in the tunnel. The person who sees no light - who does not feel the warmth of accomplishment and love awaiting them on the outside.

The other reason I love this imagery so much is that Christmas becomes the light at the end of the tunnel. Yes, Christmas. On a side (but very interesting note) is that Hanukkah started on Wednesday. Hanukkah is the Jewish festival of lights. Coincidence? I don't think so.

After a long year of toil and separation from the ones you love, Christmas is the light at the end of the tunnel. To look on an even grander scale - the coming of the Christ-child was the light and the end of a very long tunnel for the Jewish nation, and really for the whole world. Advent could be considered the season of the tunnel. The season of advent is a time where we must face the truth - we need a savior. It is as true of us as it was of the Jews in the Old Testament. The difference is our tunnel is lit on both ends. We look back to see the Christ child and we look forward to see the light of the risen Lord who will come again.

This week as I enter this small tunnel of research I am thankful for the light I see at the end. I am thankful for the family and friends who show me love in all kinds of wonderful ways. I am thankful for the education I am receiving and have received. I am thankful for the God, who no matter where I am in life, will never forsake me.

And, on a lighter note. I found a way to post some pictures so here is a closer look at the fun I've had in Boston.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Greenbean
thanks for sharing the pictures. I love seeing you in your natural state of mind