Saturday, December 15, 2007

A Quiet Desperation

I was going to wait to post when I was finished with everything. Tonight I realized if I were to wait that long, whatever it was that I would write on here, I could just tell most of you face to face.

People are starting to leave for break. A few of my friends have made the trip to Georgia, to Delaware, to Oklahoma, to New York, to wherever. Those of us left are consumed by the stack of work left to do prior to our own departures. My stack is not really a stack of work, rather it is a stack of books I am using to write my final paper. I have not been stressed at the end of this semester as I have been by other semesters. ( I am primarily thinking of the two: the semester prior to England and my last semester of undergrad.) Apparently I have developed enough self discipline to manage my workload. Most days I feel I have no self discipline because I often watch movies or talk to people on the phone for extended periods of time. However, the end of the semester has come and I only have one paper to finish while my friends with similar class schedules have two papers and finals to complete.

It snowed here on Thursday. While the snow in the trees is lovely, I was a little perturbed by its timing. I was supposed to attend a concert at my church Thursday night featuring one of the church choir members who has an amazing tenor voice. The concert and the potluck before it was canceled due to the weather so instead I drove back to campus in the snow. It was the first time I drove up "the hill" while the road was somewhat slippery and snow-packed. That was an adventure. The road is at a pretty good incline and it curves around the hill. I have a little car so I have to really gun it in order to make it up hills in the snow. The whole way up the hill I alternated between pressing and letting up the gas. Pressing the gas lunged me up the hill while letting up would slightly turn my car around the curve. This technique, while a bit dubious, did get me up the hill.

Today I decided to dig my car out the parking lot so I could make it to church on time tomorrow. Someone told me it was supposed to snow again tonight. Oh well. At least there won't be as much snow on it in the morning.

The paper I am writing is about how the concept of community is connected with the image of God. How people can only truly reflect God when they are in community with him and with other people. We can only be true to ourselves when we define who we are in light of God and in light of those around us.

I am a creation of God Almighty.
I am the daughter of Les and Shirley.
I am the sister to Dan and Machelle.
I am the aunt to Randi, Jacob and Elizabeth.
I am a friend to many.
I am a church secretary to Immanuel Church.
I am a student to the Gordon-Conwell faculty.
The list goes on...

Who are you?

1 comment:

Amanda said...

that sounds like a really interesting paper katie...i'd love to read it sometime. when do you get to go home for Christmas? or all you already home?