Thursday, January 10, 2008

New Year

With everything that happened over the new year with my grandpa, I didn't have time to think of a new year's resolution. I emailed one of my favorite comedians and asked him what his resolution was, to which he replied "to lose 30 pounds." Granted, I seemed to have gained the freshman 15 (I didn't realize that extended beyond college), but I once made a resolution to never make a diet resolution.

When I was home and had a tv to watch, I noticed so many diet commercials. I bet this is a big time of year for them. I bet if Gallup did a poll on new year's resolutions (I'm sure they have) the number one resolution would be to lose weight. Everyone wishes for the new year to be free of those things that made them unhappy in the previous year. It seems that for many, that starts with their body. It's too bad - it's not the body that needs changing but something deeper. What, you may ask? I don't know. Everyone is different.

So that little sidetrack led nowhere. Maybe I can do better in this paragraph. I flew back to MA the day after grandpa's funeral. I've had a week of nothing to do here to try and work through my grief, reflect on the past year and ask myself what I wanted from the future. This last year was full of changes and adventures. I graduated college, spent my last summer at camp, moved halfway across the country, started graduate school and dealt with changed within the family (additions and subtractions.) Pretty eventful year.

My biggest wish for 2008 is for it to be less eventful. I would like the year to be spent remembering and discovering. Remembering those things which make me happy (such as walking) and discovering what living in New England has to offer. I'm excited for the summer and plan to take in the sights in this area.

My wish for all of you is to remember what makes you happy and make time for it in your life. Don't feel like you have defend those little joys if someone else doesn't understand or share your interest. This is your life - do those things that make it the life you want - not the life you think you need.

Blessings on your head.

No comments: