Sunday, January 20, 2008

Resolution in Action

This last week I returned to my life as a student again. Even as I type I am listening to a lecture online (that is multitasking, my friend!) I am learning 2,000 years of Church history in 2 weeks. 7 days of class. That's a lot of information in a short amount of time - but it's a good way to get back into "the swing of things" as my dad would say. So, that means most of my time lately has been spent reading and listening to lectures in and outside of the classroom. I am currently learning about the anabaptists and specifically Menno Simons.

Last night I put my new year's resolution into action and did something that is uniquely New England: candlepin bowling. What's this, you ask?

Bowling is not new to me. I was out on the lanes as soon as I was strong enough to push the ball to the pins. I bowled on leagues growing up. Both of my parents continue to be in bowling leagues. Let's just say - it's in my blood. The prospect of a new way to bowl was both exciting and challenging. To top it off, this new bowling experience comes right on the heels of learning to bowl on a Wii.

Here is a link explaining candlepin bowling on wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candlepin_bowling

Here is a list to sum up the major differences:
1. The pins are more like cylinders rather than the traditional shape of the 10-pin bowling pins.
2. The bowling ball is smaller (like the size of a shotput) and there are no holes in the ball.
3. You get 3 turns per frame and bowl 2 frames at a time.
4. The lane is not cleared between turns (which allows you to aim for the fallen pins to knock other pins down.)
5. Scores are often much lower (on average) than regular 10 pin bowling. (at least for me.)

It was a fun time. I'm excited for the next New England oddity.

1 comment:

Liz said...

You totally make me laugh....Is candle pin bowling really that foreign around the rest of the country?