Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Bridgett Came to Visit!

My friend Bridgett came to visit me.  We are friends from Lake Poinsett Camp and have known each other for a very long time.  She was my first visitor last year, so this time around we skipped the Freedom Trail and Cape Ann.  Instead we had a great time doing many new things.  I was able to cross a lot of my "to see" list.

FRIDAY
During the day was the Inauguration of President Hollinger (President of Gordon Conwell.)  It was a very cool ceremony and I am glad I went.  He is the 6th president of Gordon Conwell.

Bridgett arrived that night.  We had some Quiznos and watched Emperor's New Groove which is a movie we both love and now both own.  "No touchy!"

SATURDAY
We headed down to Cape Cod, Hyannis specifically.  We took in the JFK Museum dedicated to the time the Kennedy's spent in Hyannis.


Here is Bridgett in front of the Museum.

They had a little video presentation and a whole wall dedicated to the Kennedy Family Tree.


Here we are at the Kennedy Memorial at the beach in Hyannis.  


This is the Saugus Bridge.  Once we crossed this, we were in the Cape.

That night, Bridgett and I went to a Karaoke Potluck at my church.  Since I don't have an oven, we brought chips and salsa.  I was very happy to see some "American Chop Suey" aka "goulash."  Bridgett and I sang one song - to everyone's suprise (including us!)  We sang "Lean On Me."  Good times.

SUNDAY

Bridgett sang in the church choir with me on Sunday.  Both the karaoke and the choir were things that I had hoped she would do, but did not require her to do.  We are all grateful she sang - we really needed her that day!

After church we headed into Boston for a play - Billy Joel's Movin' Out.  It was like a ballet set to Billy Joel music.  It was very cool and very impressive.  We arrived a little early and since the theater was adjacent to the Common, we walked around a snapped a few pictures.  I did get to see the "Make Way for Ducklings" statues, but did not get a picture with them.



In the Boston Public Gardens, all dressed up for the show.



We ate supper at the Bull and Finch Pub, inspiration for the show Cheers.  I had Macaroni and Cheese.  It was excellent.

MONDAY

Monday was our relaxed day.  I don't actually have any pictures...oops!  We went candlepin bowling.  I did better than when I tried it a year ago, but am sadly still terrible at it.  I hope to go one more time when my parents are here.  I can't wait to see how my dad does!  Unless of course he is skilled at that as well... :)

TUESDAY

We went to Concord, MA.  As some of the more astute readers of this blog will note, I went here in August with my friend Dana.  Bridgett wanted to see Orchard House and who am I to deny her?  It was wonderful to see it again after reading the book.  We had watched the movie the night before in order to prepare ourselves a little better.

We then ate lunch and headed over to Sleepy Hollow cemetary.  At this point in the trip, we both realized we hadn't taken many pictures and tried to make up for it.  I will post a few of the highlights.


We did some "senior photo" moments.  This is the best of Bridgett.

Notice the braid?  Bridgett did that - as well as take this great picture.

We are enjoying the cemetary a little too much at this point.

Believe it or not, this was taken by me with a self timer.  
I am looking at Emerson's grave.
I am the master of looking instantly pensive.

After the cemetary, we headed to North Bridge.  This was the sight of the first battle of the Revolutionary War.  There is a Minuteman statue there carved by the same guy who carved the Lincoln Memorial.  That guy was tutored by the sister to Louisa May Alcott, who wrote Little Women and lived in Orchard House.  Oh the connections!

The Minute Man statue in the sunlight.


My artistic rendering of the Old North Bridge.

That night we ate at Not Your Average Joe's (or as Bridgett called it - Coconut Joe's) with my roommates.  It was a nice end to the day, as well as the trip.

This morning, we had breakfast at Depot Diner (where I discovered the joy of cornbread pancakes) and dropped Bridgett off at the airport.  I have done very little homework since then, but have not been too idle.  However, I must get lots done in the next few days.  Pray for me!

4 comments:

Camber Carpenter said...

Awesome visit/trip! I'm so happy I got to experience it vicariously through your blog!!

I miss both of you...

Kim said...

Sounds like you guys had a great time! Where exactly is the Sleepy Hollow cemetery, and how long does it take to get there? I think that should be on my own need to visit list.

Jennifer said...

It was so great to meet her...Sarah and I were so glad that we were able to go out with you both! :-) Love your artistic pics...

Amanda said...

"no touchy!" is my favorite line. excellent movie.