Sunday, September 16, 2007

As Classes Begin...

May I just begin?

That was the thought going through my head last weekend as I waited for class to begin. I have officially been to all of my classes at least once. I think they will all be interesting and challenging both spiritually and academically. GCTS is a non-denominational school with a strong tendency toward Reformed theology. At least, that is what I have encountered as my first impression of my theology classes. This presents some unique opportunities and challenges for me, a non-Reformed scholar. Opportunities because I will study some of the best and brightest theologians throughout history up to the present time. Challenging because I won't agree with some of it. Actually, the book I am currently reading has gotten my attention and made me utter a few growls as I read it.

My professors seem great and they probably ARE great. For two classes I have an adjunct who is only here for the year. He is from the West Coast and probably one of my favorite qualities about him is that he is adjusting to New England life just as I am. When winter comes, however, I will be in better shape that he will be (one would think anyway.)

This weekend I went into Boston for "The Boston Plunge." I got to meet some of the major pastors in the Boston Area - all from Ethnic churches. I ate at the largest Chinese Restaurant I've ever been in. I don't know what I ate and much rather stick to sesame chicken and the like. It was a "learning experience" as Steve would say.

Today I went North to church in Gloucester (Gloster). The drive up there was b-e-a-utiful. Trees and hills on one side of the road - Atlantic Ocean on the other. After church we went up to Rockport for lunch. It was such a cute place - kind of a tourist spot, but hey, I'm a tourist. I wish I would have known we were going to do that because I would have brought my camera. I saw this small sailboat that I really think I could have sailed. I was so tempted!

As I still try to nail down a schedule and routine, I find myself thinking of home often. New England might as well be a foreign country in many ways. Not only do they not know how to pronounce words like "room" or "drawer," they are missing the charm that only home can provide. As the semester continues, I am sure I will have less time to ponder the many differences between where I am currently and where I will always belong - but until then...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're quite adventurous, you know katie? In some ways it reminds me of going to England- only you're in the "new" part.... :):) I wish you well, and look forward to reading this blog...it helps me envision your experience (nice rooms, btw)... Love you, and looking forward to seeing it all in person!
Em